Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Recreation of sorts/ I'm wingin it!

So a few weeks back Mr. Dave wrote about Utica Greens. I was instantly intrigued. As was the Mr. of the household. So I thought I'd try my hand at them. Here's the catch. I had no prosciutto. Couldn't even substitute in some pancetta. But one thing that we do have in the JoJo kitchen is bacon. There's always bacon. Yummy, delicious, thigh thickening bacon. So that's what I went with.
Oh yeah. I can't stand escarole. So I used a bunch of fresh kale. I'm pretty sure I'm off the "original" recipe by now. But it tasted really really good!

Here's what you need:
1 onion, diced
2 italian sweet peppers, diced
4 strips thick cut bacon, diced

bunch of kale
1 cup chicken stock
bread crumbs (cora)
hot sauce

Steam the heck out of your kale. You want it nice and tender. While that's steaming, saute up your bacon. Remove it from the pan when it's crispy. Get rid of the rest of the bacon fat. In the little bit of fatty residue, saute up your onions and peppers. Add in the steamed kale. If you're using it, mix your hot sauce into your stock. Pour it in. let that simmer for a few. Now's the time to salt and pepper the dish, if that's what you're choosing to do. No pressure though. Ok, so you've simmered. Now it's time to add in your bread crumbs. I just added them a handful at a time, until the was no more liquid on the bottom of the pan.

Now Mr. Dave recommended these on top of a chicken cutlet sandwich. My Mr. and I, we ate them as a side dish to, I think we had Grandpa's chicken. What that you may ask? Well my dears, that is a a recipe for another time. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment